Presentations and Workshops
- May 2018 – A 30 minute talk exploring the role of “Architects in Modern Teams” at WeAreDevelopers (8000-person congress in Vienna) where both Steve Wozniak and Joel Spolsky were speaking.
- May 2018 – Held “The Well-Rounded Architect” on the main stage at CraftConf (Budapest)
- March 2018 – Did the opening talk at Landing Festival (Berlin) discussing the “The Well-Rounded Architect“.
- March 2018 – Invited to do the opening keynote at the inaugural Lead Developer Austin where I talked about “Levelling Up: The Way of the Lead Developer“
- February 2018 – Held a book launch party in London with the co-authors (Neal Ford and Rebecca Parsons) for Building Evolutionary Architectures.
- February 2018 – Spoke about “Building Evolutionary Architectures” at OOP (Munich), one of the largest software architecture conferences in Germany.
- February 2018 – Whilst in Munich I also held the “Building Evolutionary Architectures” talk at the Microservices Meetup Group, which I was later told had the most number of attendees in its history.
- January 2018 – Talked about the “Travel Guide to Software Systems” at NDC London.
- December 2017 – Presented “Building Evolutionary Architectures” at a meetup at ThoughtWorks in Berlin.
- December 2017 – Presented “Building Evolutionary Architectures” at CodeEurope Krakow, one of the largest developer conferences in Poland
- November 2017 – Closing keynote of Continuous Lifecycle (Mannheim, Germany) with the topic, Architecting for Continuous Change.
- October 2017 – O’Reilly Software Architecture Conference (London) introducing the first time talk “The travel guide to a software system”
- June 2017 – Presented “Why Serverless, Why Now?” alongside Martin Fowler’s talk about Software Development in the 21st Century in Barcelona, Spain.
- June 2017 – Opened the Lead Developer Conference (London, UK) talking about the Constant Life of a Lead Developer.
- May 2017 – Invited to a panel at XP2017 (Cologne, Germany) on the Agile: Cult or Culture as well as ran a workshop on Exploring Architecture in agile teams
- May 2017 – Provided closing keynote for the first day at NewCrafts (Paris, France) on the Well Rounded Architect
- May 2017 – Spoke at Devoxx UK (London) on the Geek’s Guide to Leading Teams and Evolutionary Architecture
- April 2017 – Spoke at CraftConf on the topic of Tech Lead Skills for Developers.
- April 2017 – Held a ThoughtWorks’ Tech Talk (Bangkok, Thailand) on the topic of Evolutionary Architecture.
- March 2017 – Spoke at QCon London on Building a high performing team.
- March 2017 – Held a ThoughtWorks’ Tech Talk (Singapore) on the topic of Evolutionary Architecture.
- February 2017 – Lunch and Learn talk for a client talking about Dependency Injection.
- December 2016 – Spoke at Devternity (Riga, Latvia) on the Geek’s Guide to Leading Teams
- December 2016 – Ran an evening talk for Zalando (Berlin, Germany) on the topic of Why Technical Leadership matters.
- October 2016 – Keynoted the first O’Reilly Software Architecture Conference (London, UK) with a topic on High Performing teams. Also held a talk on the Well Rounded Architect.
- October 2016 – Spoke at an internal technical conference for John Lewis (London, UK) talking about Evolutionary Architecture.
- October 2016 – Spoke at GoTo London (London, UK) talking about Why Technical Leadership Matters
- August 2016 – Ran an evening interactive session for ThoughtWorks’ Werkstatt (Berlin, Germany) on Systems Thinking through Play
- June 2016 – Ran an interactive talk at an internal ThoughtWorks’ conference (Brighton, UK) on Systems Thinking through Play
- June 2016 – Ran a day of training (Trondheim, Norway) on Retrospectives in Action, followed by an evening user group talk called After the Retrospecive: Ensuring outcomes occur.
- June 2016 – Spoke at the Lead Developer conference (London, UK) on What I wish I knew as a first time Tech Lead
- May 2016 – Held a workshop at the first Agile Alliance sponsored Agile Europe event (Gdansk, Poland) on How Architects Nurture Technical Excellence.
- May 2016 – Spoke at SATURN (San Diego, USA) on the topic of Evolutionary Architecture and won the Achitecture in Practice Presentation Award.
- April 2016 – Spoke at DevWeek (London, UK) on the topics of Evolutionary Architecture and the Geek’s Guide to Leading Teams.
- April 2016 – Ran an evening geek talk at ThoughtWorks (London, UK) on the topic of Preparing for Presentations.
- February 2016 – Held a training day for a client (Paris, France) on the topics of Interpersonal Feedback and How to run effective Retrospectives.
- January 2016 – Held at talk for a Masters’ Program at UCL (London, UK) on Implementing Continous Delivery.
- Nov 2015 – Held at talk at the Pyschology of Agile Scrum user group on Agile – Unlocking Our Human Potential.
- Nov 2015 – Held a day long training workshop at QCon San Francisco around the topic of Tech Lead Skills for Developers.
- Sep 2015 – Held the closing keynote for an internal GDS conference for Architects and Tech Leads on Why Technical Leadership matters
- Sep 2015 – Talked at the first ever Lead Developer conference on the topic of Riding the Paradox as a Lead Developer
- Sep 2015 – Talked at Agile on the Beach on the Geek’s Guide to Leading Teams
- Jul 2015 – Spoke at XConf Hamburg and XConf Manchester on the topic of Tech Lead skills for developers
- June 2015 – Keynote for DevTalks Bucharest on the topic of Continuous Delivery – The Secret Sauce to Innovation
- May 2015 – Held an evening talk in Johannesburg on The Systems Thinking Primer
- April 2015 – Held a lightning talk at ThoughtWorks’ London’s Local Office Day about What it’s like writing a book
- January 2015 – OOP Conference giving two talks, The Geek’s Guide to Leading Teams and Architecting for Continuous Delivery
- October 2014 – Held two talks at a Geek Night on Retrospectives and Feedback
- May 2014 – Invited to keynote an internal company developer conference, Tartu, Finland talking about The Continuous Delivery Culture. Also gave a second talk on Implementing Continuous Delivery.
- October 2013 – Goto Berlin speaking on the DevOps track
- September 2013 – Poland Dev Days
- June 2013 – Keynoting Agile Brazil
- June 2013 – XP2013 with a tutorial on Implementing Continuous Delivery
- ThoughtWorks Quarterly Technology Briefing (QTB) – Presented How do successful companies innovate? in London, Manchester and Hamburg.
- OOP Conference – Germany’s largest developer conference. Presented a talk on a Patterns of Continuous Delivery
- OOP Conference – Germany’s largest developer conference. Presented a talk on a Systems Thinking Primer and an Evening Tutorial, Pair Programming: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
In previous years
- Øredev (Nov 2011) – Collaboration by better understanding yourself
- Agile Business Conference (Oct 2011) – Making Management work with Agile
- Javazone (September 2011) – Extreme Performance Testing
- Agile 2011 (August 2011) – Tightening the Feedback Loop and Kaizen Lego Game
- XP2011 (May 2011) – Systems Thinking Primer (Lightning Talk) and What’s in your Coaching Backpack
- The Beginner’s Mind (March 2011) presented at QCon London with slides available here
- Making ‘Management’ Work with Agile (December 2010) – Talking on the Leadership, Value & Visibility track. Here’s the video from the session,
- Tightening the Feedback Loop (November 2010) – Presented at Oredev on the Collaboration Track.
- Building the Testing Pipeline (April + June 2010) – Given at both ACCU2010 and XP2010.
- Building the Next Generation of Technical Leaders (March + July 2010) – A presentation given at QCon on the track, IT – Beyond Tools and Technologies. Slideshow available here. I also presented this at Universite du Si in July.
- Lean Software Development (March, 2010) – A presentation for a client giving a brief history to all things about lean and software development. Slides available here.
- Agreeing to Agree (February, 2010) – Liv Wild and I presented a number of methods and techniques we’ve had success using in order to enhance collaboration and reduce unnecessary confrontations in team situations. We also discuss the importance of conflict and how it can be unhealthy to not have enough of it. Slides are available here. Online video available here.
- Top ten secret weapons for performance testing in an agile environment (August 2009, January 2010) – An experience report that my colleague Alistair Jones and I will be covering at Agile 2009. I repeated this presentation for the BCS London branch in January. The slides (as PPSX) are available here.
- Climbing the Dreyfus Ladder of Agile Practices (May 2009 & August 2009) – A workshop focused on mapping practices and behaviours to learning models using the Dreyfus Model of Skills Acquisition. I will be running this workshop at XP2009 and Agile 2009.
- Distributed Agile: An Oxymoron? (July 2008) – A talk about some lessons learned running distributed agile projects presented at the Butler Group Agile Masterclass. See the presentation here. Download a PDF version here (both about 4-5MB).
- The Agile Primer (July 2008) – An introduction to agile presented at the Manchester Geek night. See the presentation here. Download a PDF version here (both about 2-3MB).
- Biohazard: Engineering the Change Virus (June 2008) – A workshop that focuses on the forces that help and hinder change in organisations, with a focus on equipping people with ways of helping change occur.
- Improving Productivity and Quality with Agile (February 2008) – A presentation I gave to a client talking about how agile methods address productivity and quality issues on software projects. Download the presentation here.
- Reface Your Team Space (June 2007) – A workshop I ran brainstorming and reporting back ideas for improving information radiation for more effective working environments.
- Test Driving Your S-Wing! (June, September and December 2006) – A conference presentation I gave at the XP2006 and the Javazone 2006 conferences. I was also invited to Sweden to represent it at a session run by the Agical people. You can read more about it here.
- Unit Testing Overview (April 2003) – A brown bag presentation I held for developers at the Australian Development Centre for Oracle Australia, which I also repeated for the QA, testing and development managers at Oracle headquarters. The presentation can be found here, and an accompanying paper here (Word) and here (PDF).
- Refactoring Cheat Sheet (November 2002)- A cheat sheet listing names of refactors, short descriptions all categories appropriately. Word version here, PDF version here.