Presentations and Workshops
- Jul 2015 – Spoke at XConf Hamburg and XConf Manchester – “Tech Lead skills for developers”
- June 2015 – Keynote for DevTalks Bucharest – “Continuous Delivery – The Secret Sauce to Innovation.”
- May 2015 – Held an evening talk in Johannesburg – “The Systems Thinking Primer”
- April 2015 – A lighting talk, “What it’s like writing a book”
- January 2015 – OOP Conference giving two talks, “The Geek’s Guide to Leading Teams” and “Architecting for Continuous Delivery”
- October 2014 – Held two talks at a Geek Night on Retrospectives and Feedback
- May 2014 – Invited to keynote an internal company developer conference, Tartu, Finland talking about The Continuous Delivery Culture. Also gave a second talk on Implementing Continuous Delivery.
- OOP Conference – Germany’s largest developer conference. Presented a talk on a Systems Thinking Primer and an Evening Tutorial, Pair Programming: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
In previous years
- Øredev (Nov 2011) – Collaboration by better understanding yourself
- Agile Business Conference (Oct 2011) – Making Management work with Agile
- Javazone (September 2011) – Extreme Performance Testing
- Agile 2011 (August 2011) – Tightening the Feedback Loop and Kaizen Lego Game
- XP2011 (May 2011) – Systems Thinking Primer (Lightning Talk) and What’s in your Coaching Backpack
- The Beginner’s Mind (March 2011) presented at QCon London with slides available here
- Making ‘Management’ Work with Agile (December 2010) – Talking on the Leadership, Value & Visibility track. Here’s the video from the session,
- Tightening the Feedback Loop (November 2010) – Presented at Oredev on the Collaboration Track.
- Building the Testing Pipeline (April + June 2010) – Given at both ACCU2010 and XP2010.
- Building the Next Generation of Technical Leaders (March + July 2010) – A presentation given at QCon on the track, IT – Beyond Tools and Technologies. Slideshow available here. I also presented this at Universite du Si in July.
- Lean Software Development (March, 2010) – A presentation for a client giving a brief history to all things about lean and software development. Slides available here.
- Agreeing to Agree (February, 2010) – Liv Wild and I presented a number of methods and techniques we’ve had success using in order to enhance collaboration and reduce unnecessary confrontations in team situations. We also discuss the importance of conflict and how it can be unhealthy to not have enough of it. Slides are available here. Online video available here.
- Top ten secret weapons for performance testing in an agile environment (August 2009, January 2010) – An experience report that my colleague Alistair Jones and I will be covering at Agile 2009. I repeated this presentation for the BCS London branch in January. The slides (as PPSX) are available here.
- Climbing the Dreyfus Ladder of Agile Practices (May 2009 & August 2009) – A workshop focused on mapping practices and behaviours to learning models using the Dreyfus Model of Skills Acquisition. I will be running this workshop at XP2009 and Agile 2009.
- Distributed Agile: An Oxymoron? (July 2008) – A talk about some lessons learned running distributed agile projects presented at the Butler Group Agile Masterclass. See the presentation here. Download a PDF version here (both about 4-5MB).
- The Agile Primer (July 2008) – An introduction to agile presented at the Manchester Geek night. See the presentation here. Download a PDF version here (both about 2-3MB).
- Biohazard: Engineering the Change Virus (June 2008) – A workshop that focuses on the forces that help and hinder change in organisations, with a focus on equipping people with ways of helping change occur.
- Improving Productivity and Quality with Agile (February 2008) – A presentation I gave to a client talking about how agile methods address productivity and quality issues on software projects. Download the presentation here.
- Reface Your Team Space (June 2007) – A workshop I ran brainstorming and reporting back ideas for improving information radiation for more effective working environments.
- Test Driving Your S-Wing! (June, September and December 2006) – A conference presentation I gave at the XP2006 and the Javazone 2006 conferences. I was also invited to Sweden to represent it at a session run by the Agical people. You can read more about it here.
- Unit Testing Overview (April 2003) – A brown bag presentation I held for developers at the Australian Development Centre for Oracle Australia, which I also repeated for the QA, testing and development managers at Oracle headquarters. The presentation can be found here, and an accompanying paper here (Word) and here (PDF).
- Refactoring Cheat Sheet (November 2002)- A cheat sheet listing names of refactors, short descriptions all categories appropriately. Word version here, PDF version here.